Monday 9 November 2015

Winning the lottery - my numbers

On Friday 30th October, I won a crate of Erdinger Alkoholfrei (whoop!)
On Monday 2nd November, I heard I had won some soup n some cheese (yum!)

Obviously, I was advised to buy a lottery ticket.
I had already bought my ticket. I'd done that on 28th October.
But I hadn't bought a ticket to win millions of £. 
I was buying the chance of a lifetime.

I had popped my name in the hat to complete Norseman Extreme Triathlon in 2016.  

I joined 3087 people who put their name in the hat.
Just 8% of us were women.
66 nations were represented. 
My name came out.

320 of the chosen ones will have the pleasure of leaping from the back of the ferry into Hardangerfjord.
Approx 250 will actually start.
This will happen on 6th August 2016
At 5am the horn will sound and echo down the fjord, signalling the start of the race. 

160 of those starting will hopefully make it to the coveted black finish at the summit of Mt Gaustatoppen (1850m above sea level and 226km later) - providing the weather and conditions allow.

The rest of the field will finish at Gaustablikk Høy[ellshot - a mere 1000m above sea level - distance traveled is still 226km. 

It is point to point and self supported throughout.
Support crews drive the course, the feed their athletes, ensure they are dressed for the weather.
They will then complete the latter part of the run - ensuring their athlete is safe on the mountain. 

Cut off for exiting the water is 2 hours 15 minutes.
Cut off for exiting T2 is 12 hours. 
Cut off for the black finish is 14 hours 30 minutes at 32.5km of the run.
Then another cut off at 15 hours 30 at 37.5km
Cut off for white finish is 17 hours 30 minutes at 32.5km - there is no further cut off. 

There are no medals.
It is difficult to compare results from year to year.
It is difficult to measure black times and white times within a single year.

Did I mention the 10% climb on the run up Zombie Hill?

I want black. 
I will work for black. 
I will work HARD for black.

But I don't know who will start on the day.
And I don't know what Norway will throw at us. 
(I do.... big climbs, moorland, hail so fierce it bruises, snow, big steep descents on open roads)

The water is generally in the region of 13*C - this year it was 10* and the swim was shortened.
Air temp on the bike leg can range from 5-20*C.
The 'flat' part of the run can have air temps between 12-28*C dropping to 2-12*C on the mountain. 

Previous competitors give excellent advice 

"Train smart, train long, train steep, train cold, train plenty.

Train swimming, train cycling, train running, train nutrition.

Then train some more."

I have experience Norseman.
I was support crew for Bear in 2014. 
There isn't a blog post about it, simply because I was never able to find the words. 
That's the kind of race it is. 

It absolutely stirs the soul. 

I am scared.
I am excited. 
I am focused
I am grateful.

I am so bloody lucky.

1 comment: